Adoption Options has been bringing children and loving families together since 1948. Adopting a child is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever make and we’ll be there to help you every step of the way. Adoption Options provides counseling and education to help you make the decision that’s right for you and your family. We provide free options counseling for birth parents and are available 24/7. Birth parents who decide adoption is their best choice are able to select the adoptive parents who they want to place their child with and choose the level of openness they prefer.
What is open adoption?
Open adoption offers a child the opportunity to have a connection to his/ her birth family. The adoptive and birth parents pledge to maintain this connection (through visits or letters) so the child will always have a link to his/her first family. While maintaining this connection, some birth families choose to receive photographs and letters throughout the years so they can have the joy of watching their child grow up. Other birth and adoptive parents enjoy a greater level of openness and have visits over the years. This is not co-parenting, as the adoptive parents will be the sole legal guardians of the child.
How open adoption benefits the child:
- Clearer sense of identity
- Understanding they are loved by their birth family and why they chose adoption
- Access to information about their medical and social history
- Connection to biological siblings, if there are any
How open adoption benefits the birth parents:
- Opportunity to choose and meet the family who will adopt their child
- Ability to be available to personally answer their birth child’s questions about his/her adoption
- Reassurance of knowing the child is safe and thriving
How open adoption benefits the adoptive parents:
- Knowledge that birth parents chose adoption freely and willingly
- Feeling of entitlement and being personally entrusted to raise the child
- Dissolution of fantasies about birth parents or fear of the unknown
- Greater ability to answer the child’s questions about his/her origins
- Ongoing access to birth parents’ medical and social histories
How to begin your adoption journey….
- Request our information packet
- Attend our free information meeting and have your questions answered in person
- Request an adoption application
For more information, Contact Us or call (800) 458.0651