For Adoptive Parents
Opening your heart and home to care for a child is not only a courageous decision, but a truly loving one. Whatever the reason may be that has led you to decide to adopt, we offer a tremendous amount of support to make your adoption journey a rewarding one.
Whether you have your heart set on adopting an infant or you want to expand your family by adopting an older child, our adoption counselors, who are licensed social workers, are here to help throughout your journey.
- Pre-adoption counseling and education
- Home study, a requirement for child placement
- Help in preparing your family profile
- Partnership with you to search for your child
- Meeting arrangements between you and the birth parents
- Placement of your child in the home
- Post-placement supervision and counseling to your family
- Referrals to professionals for assistance with education, developmental, and/or mental health needs
- On-going education for your family on the attachment process
- Assistance to your adoption lawyer with preparation of paperwork for adoption finalization in family court.
What to Expect
The adoption process begins with learning about the different types of adoptions and services available to you. LSMNJ’s Adoption Program will provide you with an information packet which describes the adoption process, our services, and our two adoption programs—Open Infant and Waiting Child.
By attending one of our monthly information meetings, you will learn more about our services and programs and gain an understanding of the adoption process. Information meetings are held in our Burlington office on the first Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. View dates of upcoming informational meetings.
Once the decision is made to begin the adoption process, an application packet is completed and the home study process begins. Please call our office at 1-888-325-6621 to register or for additional information.
For more information, please& Contact Us or call 1-800-458-0651.