At the heart of LSMNJ's Community Engagement is the understanding that we are each called to love and serve our neighbors.
We believe that:
- All congregations have strengths and resources but can benefit from additional support and encouragement.
- Community engagement involves mutual respect, as well as a recognition and affirmation of the heritage, culture, and customs of both community and congregation.
- A ministry of community engagement focuses on empowerment and self-determination in response to community needs.
What is Community Engagement?
Through our community engagement programs at LSMNJ, we support congregational ministry by:
- creating congregational links with LSMNJ programs;
- helping congregations develop new outreach/engagement initiatives or partner with existing programs in their community;
- mentoring congregations through resource development;
- offering grant funding and other resources through Lutherans Feeding Friends to assist worship communities that are feeding their hungry neighbors;
- providing networking opportunities for the sharing of information and ideas; and
- facilitating special LSMNJ giving opportunities for congregations such as school backpacks, Easter baskets, holiday gifts, and disaster recovery flood buckets.