- The original building at 255 East Main Street was erected in 1894 as a private residence of Samuel Leeds Allen, inventor of the Flexible Flyer sled. He called the Tudor gothic castle “Breidenhart,” meaning “broad hearth stone” or “hospitality.”
- In 1920, the Home was purchased by Eldridge R. Johnson, inventor of the Victor Talking Machine.
- In 1947, Johnson’s widow sold the house and its 12 landscaped acres to what was then the Lutheran Home of New Jersey.
- In 1961, the Home was renamed “Lutheran Home at Moorestown.”
- In 1978, the building of Pennsylvania limestone and Indiana sandstone trimmings was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
- In 2007, the name “Lutheran Care at Moorestown” was adopted to reflect the expanded comprehensive services being provided, including Sub-Acute Rehabilitation and Community Health Services to seniors, in addition to the long-term care that has become so well known.
Today, the castle is a symbol of community spirit with a focal point for the further development of community-based programs and services of Lutheran Care at Moorestown.
Following a rehabilitation of its own, the castle will become a center for community outreach to ensure the daily well-being of senior citizens at home and will provide additional office space for the staff of Lutheran Care at Moorestown.
For more information, please Contact Us or call 856.235.1214.