Let our H.E.R.O. (Housing, Employment, Recovery, Opportunity) program serve you
Lutheran Social Ministries of NJ has been serving the needs of those living in poverty for many years, especially by providing assistance to the large homeless population in Camden.
In 2018, LSMNJ implemented a social service program called H.E.R.O. The ‘H’ symbolizes our assistance with finding emergency shelter/HOUSING and having HOPE; the ‘E’ stands for help with finding EMPLOYMENT options or EDUCATIONAL opportunities; ‘R’ for recovery and resilience, and ‘O’ all of the OPPORTUNITIES we can help people find to suit their unique situations.
Realizing a need to work more closely with the underserved, those who are living in poverty in the Camden and South Jersey area, the H.E.R.O. program was developed to help individuals, families, and communities to enhance their individual and collective well-being. The H.E.R.O. team provides case management, and one-on-one, personal assistance in the planning and coordination of options and resources to meet an individual’s specific needs.
It is a comprehensive approach that aims to help people develop their skills and their ability to use their own resources and those of the community to resolve problems. Our focus is with individual and personal problems, but also with broader social issues such as poverty, unemployment, addiction, and domestic violence. Our team members serve as community liaisons and partner with numerous state and local organizations to help individuals address issues of hunger, securing proper identification, acquiring job training and employment, identifying educational opportunities, securing affordable housing, improving access to transportation, and guiding those seeking treatment from addiction.
Many of those we assist are current residents within LSMNJ affordable family and senior housing communities, like LSM of Camden and Lutheran Senior Residence at Pennsauken. Our team helps to meet the challenges life presents to them through consistent communication and the coordination of resources to promote quality, cost-effective outcomes. We share the journey with them—throughout the entire process.
Our work through H.E.R.O. is meaningful. Our goal is to help each individual take the necessary steps to move forward, toward self-sufficiency and sustainability, as well as strive to enrich their communities.
Our H.E.R.O. office is located at
539 State Street
Camden, NJ 08102
Below is a list of resources for those in need. The list is updated often and vetted by our H.E.R.O. staff:
Addiction Hotline – 1-844-276-2777
COVID CONNECT: A Helpline for Mental Health and Addiction Resources related to COVID-19. Call 1-833-223-0011. Monday-Friday 8am-8pm. View Video
Star – Addiction and recovery in Camden and Gloucester counties
Pathways to Recovery for Adults
John Brooks Recovery Center
Living Proof Recovery Center
COVID Resources in New Jersey:
NJ COVID Resources – NJ Dept of Human Services (10.20.20)
NJ COVID Resources en español – NJ Dept of Human Services (10.20.20)
COVID CONNECT: A Helpline for Mental Health and Addiction Resources related to COVID-19. Call 1-833-223-0011. Mon-Fri 8am-8pm. View Video
Homeless Resources in New Jersey:
Community Health Law Project
Office of the Public Defender – 856-614-3558
Camden County Resources:
- Deputy County Administrator – M. Holly Cass – 856-225-5358
- CHILD IMMUNIZATIONS – By Appointment Only
- Bellmawr, NJ. 1st & 3rd Friday, 9:00am – 12:00pm & 1:00pm – 4:00pm. Call (856) 931-2700. Location is 35 East Browning Rd., Bellmawr, NJ 08031.
- Camden, NJ. Monday & Wednesday, 8:30am – 12:00pm & 1:00pm – 4:00pm. Call (856) 225-5128. Location is 817 Federal St., Camden, NJ 08103.
- STD/STI WALK-IN CLINIC – (All testing and treatment services are at no cost and are confidential! It is on a first come first serve basis and services not available on State declared holidays. Call for more information.)
- Bellmawr, NJ. Mondays, 9:00am – 12:00pm & 1:00pm – 4:00pm. Call (856) 931-2700. Location is 35 East Browning Rd., Bellmawr, NJ 08031.
- Camden, NJ. Thursdays, 8:30am – 12:00pm & 1:00pm – 4:00pm. Call (856) 756-2266. Location is 817 Federal St., Camden, NJ 08103.